June 23, 2009

The Pet as Psychopomp



Today I sat on a bench in a park enjoying the warm sunshine and gentle breeze of an early summer day. A man with a golden Lab sat down beside me and began to eat a fried chicken sandwich. I looked at the dog and he slowly approached me. His owner said that it was all over once I made eye contact. Such a lovely feel to his fur as if I were absorbing a massage through my finger tips. Soon another dog and two humans approached. They too entered the love fest centred on the lab. A woman with her right arm in a cast approached and eagerly inquired as to the parentage of the the second dog. She asked if the lab shed continuously and then began to excitedly talk about her own dogs.

I began to see the dog as a psychopomp - from the Greek meaning "guide of souls". He had with very little effort got four random strangers to chat as if they were good friends who had known each other for years. As an introvert I marvel at how this dog was able to draw four people, even for a few moments, out of their isolation by his simple whole-hearted behaviours.

Currently I live a very isolated life style and am searching for employment as well. What valuable lessons can I glean from this generous and accomplished fellow creature? That sincere and generous actions even on a small scale can act like seed crystals in a supersaturated solution - imperceptible specks that can initiate large, beautiful and complex structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment